Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

My collie dog is not well. He is making really strange throat

Customer Question

My collie dog is not well. He is making really strange throat movements and you think he has something stuck in his throat but he hasn't, then every now and again he is ears are twitching, then is calm for a while and it starts again. There seems to be a lot of excess liquid coming from his mouth, not foaming but dribbling a lot all over the carpet.
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

How long has Chieno been having this issue? Any chance he ate something, like a toad or insect, that might have started all this?

JACUSTOMER-enbwfmql- :

I'm not sure, he doesn't usually touch insects or anything when we are out.

JACUSTOMER-enbwfmql- :

it started earlier today

JACUSTOMER-enbwfmql- :

did you receive my answers

JACUSTOMER-enbwfmql- :

is there anything else from you, not sure how this works at all for £13.00

JACUSTOMER-enbwfmql- :

Please would you write back to me

Dr. Scarlett :

I'm sorry, I was called away from my desk.

Dr. Scarlett :

The gagging and drooling really makes me think he got into something that tasted bad. In the US, toads are notorious for causing this kind of reaction for a couple hours afterwards. Some plants can do the same thing.

Dr. Scarlett :

I have also seen dogs who have been chewing on bones get a bone stuck in their mouths or across the roof of the mouth and have issues similar to Chienos.

Dr. Scarlett :

Will he eat anything or drink anything?

JACUSTOMER-enbwfmql- :

yes, he ate his dinner earlier and is drinking a bit, not as much as he usually does, I just heard him choke a bit downstairs, there seems to be a lot of drool from his mouth...

Dr. Scarlett :

Are you able to open his mouth and take a look in there? Check particularly the roof of his mouth and under his tongue.

JACUSTOMER-enbwfmql- :

I just went to check on him

JACUSTOMER-enbwfmql- :

He seems to be like hiccupping a lot but it's not hiccups, I will go and open his mouth now.

Dr. Scarlett :

Are his gums pink? Does he seem to be having any difficulty breathing?

JACUSTOMER-enbwfmql- :

I would say his gums are pink yes but his breathing I don't think is too difficult

Dr. Scarlett :

So nothing seen in the mouth anywhere? Is he acting lethargic? Try offering him a piece of bread and see if he will eat.

JACUSTOMER-enbwfmql- :

I really don't think he has anything stuck in his throat

JACUSTOMER-enbwfmql- :

OK I will do that and see

JACUSTOMER-enbwfmql- :

Didn't have any bread but gave hi a bit of sliced chicken, no problem with that at all..

Dr. Scarlett :

If you don't see anything in his mouth, he appears pink and doesn't seem to be having any difficulty breathing, he swallows ok, and he isn't really lethargic, then I think I'd give him an hour or two and see what happens. You could give him some benadryl (50 mg or 2 adult doses), which is an antihistamine--if he got an insect in his mouth that stung him, that might help. I would give it every 8 hours for the next couple of days if it seems to make him better.

Dr. Scarlett :

If he seems to be getting worse, however, I would take him in to a vet for an exam and possible x-rays. I just suspect he got into something while you were gone--you might look around the house and see if there was anything in trash, etc, that he could have eaten.

JACUSTOMER-enbwfmql- :

Benadryl, don't have any of that...the only antihistamine I have are tablet form from boots for humans, don't suppose that is any good is it??? I have some sort of medicine liquid though, I will just go and see what it is a minute

Dr. Scarlett :

"from boots for humans?" Not sure I understand that! Medication names would be very helpful.

JACUSTOMER-enbwfmql- :

no I mean for me, when I get bitten by insects! The medicine I have got in front of me I don't think will suit but I will tell you what it is..

JACUSTOMER-enbwfmql- :

Boots....Nirolex, chesty cough and congestion relief linctus!!!!!!!

Dr. Scarlett :

Hmmm, you're right. Maybe not what I'm looking for! :)

JACUSTOMER-enbwfmql- :

anything else you suggest?

Dr. Scarlett :

diphenhydramine is the generic name for Benadryl, but Claritin (loratidine) or Zyrtec, chlorpheniramine, hydroxyzine, any of those around? Can you zip down to a store and pick some up?

JACUSTOMER-enbwfmql- :

nothing here at all in the middle of absolute nowhere in Devon!

JACUSTOMER-enbwfmql- :

I will just check my cupboard though, bear with me a minute

Dr. Scarlett :

If no antihistamine, then I would maybe give him a little milk, some bread (to dilute and bind up anything that might be in his stomach and might be somewhat soothing to the gut). Do you have any Pepcid?

Dr. Scarlett :

Rubbing his throat might make him feel a little better, maybe some ice cube chips to eat?

JACUSTOMER-enbwfmql- :

OK well I do have some Piriton which is that c word you said.... Do I give him one of them or a half a tablet?

Dr. Scarlett :

chlorpheniramine? Great! If he is around 50 pounds or more, I'd give him a whole tablet (which should be 4 mg) every 12 hours.

Dr. Scarlett :

If he is a large collie, then you can give him 2 tablets.

JACUSTOMER-enbwfmql- :

No I think he weighs about 20kg, he is quite lean as he runs so much

Dr. Scarlett :

Ok, 1 tablet will be fine. It is a very safe medication and shouldn't make him sleepy.

JACUSTOMER-enbwfmql- :

ok and I will try some ice too, that seems a good idea. If he ate something a bit dodgy would it make him sick?? he hasn't been sick at all, just all this fluid like water..

Dr. Scarlett :

I need to go, but can check back later if you have any other questions or concerns. Milk could give him some diarrhea, as could something he ate that was dodgy. So anticipate that in the next 12 hours!