Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

i know it sounds silly but my tortoise has stated to has

Customer Question

i know it sounds silly but my tortoise has stated to has started follow me around trying to snap at my feet and if you put your fingers near her she will snap at those too , holding on as best she can is this normal .
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome, my name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Is your tortoise feeding well at present and what do you normally feed her?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello scott she is feeding o k on lettuise at the moment

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

1. More than likely she is just looking for some variety in her diet so starting the pellets would be a good idea as well as the lettuce, the pellets will contain necessary minerals and vitamins she does not get from lettuce alone. You can also safely add other components to her diet such as cucumber, carrot etc. Read the full list Here

2. When a tortoise is ill they are always very lethargic and do not eat but your one is clearly running about so that is very encouraging.

3. Finally tortoises are never affectionate like cats and dogs so it could be that she is just moody and a bit aggressive and that's why she is biting. But correcting her diet would be a good move in any case.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott