Dr. Steven Osborne
Dr. Steven Osborne, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of Veterinary Medicine expertise with experience in canine and feline medicine and surgery
31531426

my cat give birth this morning to four kittens, i dont think

Customer Question

my cat give birth this morning to four kittens, i don't think she has any more to come, but she is still panting and has light bleeding, she has had a drink and past urine the first three kittens 3 placenta sacks came away a short time after there birth the last kitten was born 3 quarter of an hour after she still has lite bleeding and is panting is she ok know placenta came away after the 4 one was born is this normal is she ok or should i be worried is this normal
Expert:  Dr. Steven Osborne replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

HI, I'm Dr Steve.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Sometimes it is hard to know if a cat is done or not, but one good sign is that she is quiet and nursing. If she is not straining any more, that is another good sign. A slight discharge shortly after delivery is not unusual. Passing the placenta after each kitten is delivered is the normal process

Dr. Steven Osborne :

I tell my clients that watching the mother for a few hours after delivering the last kitten is the best thing to do . This gives the mother time to gain some strength after delivery. It also gives time for discharges to stop and her to feel and act more normally. If during this period, you see her beginning to strain. that could be a sign of possibly another kitten and if she continues to strain and nothing is delivered within 1 hour, then she should be examined by a vet.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

From your description, her delivery seems to be very normal and if she continues to be relaxed, doesn't strain and if the discharge becomes less, she should be fine. If she continues to strain or if the discharge gets worse or doesn't slow down in a few hours or if she isn't acting normally ( eating and drinking) within 8-10 hours after delivery, she should be see by a vet. Hopefully she is done and won't show any of these signs. I hope this has helped. If it has would you please click the ssubmit button so I may receive credit for my answer. I will check later to see if you have more questions. THanks for using just answer and good luck.