Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

My dog has a very large swelling on her back leg it as been

Customer Question

My dog has a very large swelling on her back leg it as been drained twice and then caused infection now they say its two risky to have a operation but we don want to put her to sleep shes our dog and we love her she is 13years old thanks
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name is Dr. Andy. I am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Saskia.

A few points.
1. IF the vet feels they can completely remove this swelling or tumor with surgery, than surgery needs to be strongly considered.

2. Risky? Why. If her heart and lungs sound good and a basic pre-anesthetic blood test indicates good liver enzymes and kidney values, then she is a fine candidate. Age is not a factor by itself.

I routinely anesthestize dogs 15-17 years of age with severe dental disease, and do 2 hour procedures on them with teeth extractions, and they can do just fine.

3. Remember, without possible curative surgery, what's the alternative? The leg simply getting a lot worse, and then Saskia needs to be euthanized due to a poor quality of life. To me, that sounds worth considering surgery for sure. But, you may need to consult a different vet for another opinion first.

It's a tough question. Also, need to ask the new vet if surgery is going to resolve the problem. At this age, and at probably high cost, you need to know what the vet's goal is for the procedure.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy