Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

one of my chickens keeps opening its beak as though it is trying

Customer Question

one of my chickens keeps opening its beak as though it is trying to burp is this something to be worried about
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
You've concerned me for the presence of gapeworms which attach themselves to the inside lining of the trachea. They can be present in such numbers that they may completely fill the airway, resulting in extreme respiratory difficulty. Infected birds typically gasp for air and breath with extended necks ("gaping"). If you wormed with Flubenvet (flubendazole), you should see improvement within a week.

Respiratory infections can also cause "gaping" and so it would be prudent to be treating your birds with Duramycin-10 (tetracycline) at this time unless your vet has confirmed gapeworm by its classical appearance. Please let me know which wormer you administered and if any other birds are affected.