How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pet Doc Your Own Question
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 7571
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent).
9138059
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Pet Doc is online now

hi our husky might be showing signs of chocolate poisoning he

Customer Question

hi
our husky might be showing signs of chocolate poisoning
he ate 6-10 1 inch sections on saturday night
i have spoken to our vet before they closed this evening and they said to give him
an asperin and see how he is in the morning
he was fine this morning but this evening he is sitting down a lot, walking a bit strange
with his head on one side, seems to be urinating a lot.
i have looked at the wrapper tonight to find out what was that he ate
the chocolate confection contained 100% cocoa powder with a topping of 50% cocoa solid
the weight i would estimate at 75 -100g
any advice you could give would be appreciated
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Vet
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 years ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question. My name is Dr Edwards and I am happy to be able to help you today. Before I put an answer together for you, I am going to need a little more info:

- Has he only eaten this chocolate on Saturday night?
- Have his symptoms settled or worsened in the last 12 hours?
- How heavy is your boy please?

Once you get back to me, I will start typing up my response. Thanks for this and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Dr E
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes he ate the chocolate on saturday night


only noticed the symptoms late this afternoon after returning from work


he was ok this morning


i would guess he is 20 - 25kg

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 years ago.
Hi again Nick,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Assuming he ate 100g of dark baking chocolate (about the equivalent of what he had here) - we would only expect mild symptoms. These symptoms can include irregular heart rate, tremors, seizures, extreme hyperactivity as well as an increase in water intake and hence urination also. The signs/symptoms of chocolate toxicity would generally become apparent within 4 - 6 hours and only last a maximum of 24 - 36 hours. For this reason, it is quite possible there is something else to blame for his symptoms here.

There are a number of possible causes for these symptoms including anything from geriatric vestibular disease, to some other toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything else around your home/yard he could get in to?) or even an endocrine problem. You will need to keep an eye on him for the next little while and definitely get him seen by your regular local Vet first thing tomorrow morning.

Please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

tried pressing his gums and they went back to pink straight away


they look a good pink colour


he is wimpering when moving about and when we touch his head


he breathing is a little faster than normal


still not walking properly and prefers to sit


any further thoughts

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 4 years ago.
Hi Nick,

Great to hear his capilliary refill time and membrane colour are good. That means the blood flow to his periphery is still good.

His other symptoms are a little strange and the breathing is one of the main worries here. If his breathing is constantly faster than normal, then I would recommend getting him to an ER Vet tonight if possible.

Kind Regards,

Dr E