gpvet
gpvet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a general practice vet with 13 years of experience dealing with all types of companion animals and small exotics
73965271

hi i have a cat that weighs only 3.4 kgs shes small in structure.

Customer Question

hi i have a cat that weighs only 3.4 kgs shes small in structure. she was a street cat that i took in she got pregnant at 5 months and the vet said because she was so young her growth would be stunted. shes relatively smaller than other cats her age shes 2 next month. she neutered now and i took her to the vets recently and he commented on her weight, shes a really fussy eater she will only eat the felix sensations and the box says she should eat 3-4 pouches a day but im lucky if i can get 2 pouches into her and a few dry nuts i changed her nuts to kitten nut because i no there higher in fat and protien but it hasn't made a difference, i love my cat and i think the vet thinks im not feeding her please help. what can i give her to bulk her up, she doesnt like salmon or tuna
Expert:  gpvet replied 4 years ago.

gpvet : Hi there
gpvet : some cats are just meant to be small. I have a 9 year female who us the same weight as yours - and she's put on 0.2kg in the last 3 months! I would not worry - just keep feeding her as you are. Two sachets plus dry food is a reasonable amount. Try weighing the dry food - you may find she is getting a reasonable amount of her calorific requirement from it
gpvet : also remember - 40% of cats in the UK are overweight!
JACUSTOMER-kxjqjqif- :

i know half the cats are over weight and i dont want her to be fat, but i can feel every bone on her but she seems to have just muscle mass and no fat on her at all, the vets here in ireland seem to make faces each time they weigh her and im getting worried because i cant force her to eat and they keep telling me shes under weight is there any thing i can give her at all to fatten her up, she loves to hunt and could be gone for 6 hours at a time always brings back a rat or a bird but never eats them so i no shes burning off all the calories she eating out hunting, which means shes never going to put on weight

gpvet : There's not masses you can do other than what you already have done - change to kitten food and get asmuch food in as you can. If she hunts and brings things in, she may be eating a few items outside the home, so I would keep her worming very up to date, maybe even worm her more frequently. The only other thing I can suggest is to may be try a raw food diet - some cats prefer this and therefore eat better on it.