Dr. Steven Osborne
Dr. Steven Osborne, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of Veterinary Medicine expertise with experience in canine and feline medicine and surgery
31531426

Horse swollen nose now pus

Customer Question

14 year old mare with swollen nose developed into a head with v pungent pus. wondering if foreign body ?thorn etc? what treatment? thanks Andrea  

Expert:  Dr. Steven Osborne replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

HI, I'm Dr Steve. I am sorry that your mare is having troubles. From your description there is likely a bacterial infection going on.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

THe question is , as you mentioned, is there something in the sore that caused the problem. In my experience, it usually turns out to be that sometihng poked the nose or the face, introduced bacteria into the area and then sealed over, locking in the bacteria and it turned into an abscess. As the abscess grows the skin over it becomes thin and eventually the abscess ruptures allowing drainage. This is a good thing and then with some gentlee flushing and in some cases injectable antibiotics, the sore eventually clears up. How is her appetite, activity level, and does the sore seem to bother her? How long do you think this has been going on? I wil check back throughout the night to see your reply. Thanks for your patience and look forwrd to continuing this conversation.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

I have to be offline for a short time , but will be back later to continue. Thanks

Dr. Steven Osborne :

HI, I'm Back.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Since it is relatively uncommon to have something stuck in an abscess like this, treating with antibiotics like penicillin or excede to kill the bacteria in the abscess and gently flushing the wound with warm water often helps clean the wound and they usually heal quite nicely. I have also had good result using Vetericyn wound spray to flush the area. This is helps clean, disinfect and increases oxygen flow to the area and promotes healing.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

I hope this has helped. If it has would you please rate my answer so I may receive credit for it. I will check throughout the night to see if you have more questions. and to see your reply to my questions. Thanks for using just answer and good luck. Look forward to hearing from you.

JACUSTOMER-driigvza- :

Hi Dr Steve thank you for answer. Noticed swlling on her nose without any head to it 3 days ago. came to a head a day and a half ago. She is eating and active and usual alpha self. Can I treat myself topically or woultd it be best to get vet visit for injectable antibiotics as don't want to risk getting worse plus she is a real handful to deal with in stable. thanks Andrea

Dr. Steven Osborne :

From my experience it is a faster process to have a vet give injectable antibiotics to get teh infecton that maybe deep in the sore killed. Sometimes the flushing is not quite aggressive enough and can help, but it usually takes longer to get a complete cure and in some cases, injectable antibiotics still have to be given and it prolpngs the healing process. I have used excede which is given once and lasts 4 days. If necesssary it can be given again 4 days later. Penicillin is also a good option , but needs to be given every day or every other day. Discuss these with your vet and he can decide which he feels would be better in this specific case. I have to see patience son, but will check this afternoon to see if yo have more questions. Have a great day.