DrRalston
DrRalston, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over twelve years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
47051559

one of my chickens has a very runny poo bright green and bits

Customer Question

one of my chickens has a very runny poo bright green and bits of poo in it
Expert:  DrRalston replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Ralston.

The green poo you are seeing is most likely either from bile or as a result of bacterial infection.

Bile builds up when the pet is fasted, or if there is liver problems. Over feeding very high calorie grains can lead to this issue. If you have recently switched feed this can be an issue.

If Pinky isn't eating, the bile can build up from fasting as well. Please note if she is eating or not. If not, you will want to check the crop for impaction first. Any impaction will need to be relieved by the Vet unless you have experience with this.

If she is eating, I would consider parasites or bacterial infection. Separate her from any other birds you have to prevent spread of disease.

You might be able to take a sample to your Vet to have it checked for bacteria and parasites and the correct medication to treat can be dispensed to you without having to take Pinky into the Vet. Your vet might even be able to tell you what is available at your local feed store that would work in your area without having to take her in.

Septicemia can set in quickly though in bacterial infections, so I would act on this as fast as possible.