Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a kakirakis with a crooked bottom beak but is feeding

Customer Question

I have a kakirakis with a crooked bottom beak but is feeding pretty well can the bill be trimmed dave
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry for the delay in replying to you, Dave. Yes, I can trim most any beak but it's important that I know why the beak has become crooked. In many cases a mandibular (bottom) beak has become misplaced due to a maxillary (upper) beak disorder.

Is it possible for you to upload a close-up photo of your Kakirakis's face for me? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box or (preferably) imgur.com or tinypic.com. Once I see what you're seeing I should be able to be more accurate for you.

Meanwhile, please take as look at this site: http://www.avianweb.com/beakdeformities.html#deformities It should help you decide what you're seeing.
I'll await your reply.