DrRalston
DrRalston, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over twelve years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
47051559

My west highland terrier is coughing.it sounds like something

Customer Question

My west highland terrier is coughing.it sounds like something caught in his throat
Expert:  DrRalston replied 3 years ago.
Can you see videos?

I have collected a few different videos with different types of cough.

Take a look at these and let me know which you think it is more like, deal?

I have a good idea of what it might be, looking forward to hearing from you.

I would describe them like this:
With kennel cough, it is a series of hacking coughs, and then a gag at the end. Sometimes there is foamy white stuff/phlegm that comes out. It goes kind of ACK ACK ACK ...GAAAAAAG!! Then a pause, then repeat.

Kennel Cough 1
Kennel Cough 2

With reverse sneeze, you notice that the pup is breathing in when he does it. It almost always sounds like, kind of an inward snorting type of laugh, and usually there is no gag at the end. It happens with excitement typically.
Reverse Sneeze

The collapsed trachea happens when the pet is breating heavy. But, unlike reverse sneeze it happens after the inward breath, when the pet is breathing out. So they breathe in, the trachea collapses, and they COUGH out. You can hear the dog in this video breathing in before coughing out when it slows down a bit.
Tracheal Collapse

The heart failure cough is usually a soft coughing, with a kind of locomotive breathing/panting. The pet usually does not look good. Their necks stretch out. They are anxious, their heads hang low.They are exhausted from trying to breathe so heavy.
Heart Failure
Heart Failure