Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Hi I have a grumpy cat

Customer Question

Hi I have a grumpy cat, last year I went on holiday to come back to him having his collar hooked under his arm and imbedded in to his skin.

ever since then he has come home for his dinner and a sleep but if anyone goes near him or any of my other cats go near him he growls and hisses and occasionally lashes out.

This is obviously a concern as I have a 10 month old daughter.

he enjoys being stroked but growls and hisses during a stroke and after a few mins he then lashes out.

Any ideas?

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that poor Bisquit is suffering this distress...he has been emotionally challenged and this is hard for a cat to get over.

You can try these tips that will help Bisquit past this and decrease his grumpiness....we ma not be abke to stop it altogether but at least this will decrease it so your daughter is not at risk.

1. Purchase Feliway diffuser at the pet store. This is a feline pheromone that acts as a calming agent and decreases anxiety.

2. Purchase Rescue Remedy at the pet store. This also acts as a calming agent.

3. Have your vet examine Bisquit to be sure that this grumpiness is not related to some form of pain thet he has been suffering from. If this is the case, pain relievers will help If this is ruled out, your vet will precribe an anti anxoety medication such as Clomicalm that will reduce anxiety and help Bisquit past this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta