Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

my gsd had a bleed from the botton a few days ago and is still

Customer Question

my gsd had a bleed from the botton a few days ago and is still slightly bleeding now and again what is the cause he had a lamb bone to chew the night it happened but dident eat it all is that the cause or is it something else do i need to get him to the vets asap as his stool is a bit soft some times
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Ranger. The persistence of his bleeding concerns me. By the principle of Occam's Razor we should consider the lamb bone first. This is one of the bones - the others are chicken, pork, and most beef bones except uncooked knuckles and shanks - which fragment into sharp pieces and spicules and which can damage and even perforate the gastrointestinal tract.

It would be prudent to have Ranger's vet rectally palpate Ranger's rectum for the presence of bony material and X-ray Ranger's abdomen to better assess the passage of any bone that may remain in Ranger's GI tract. If obstruction or perforation isn't seen on X-ray and Ranger remains stabile, I would anticipate Ranger's vet prescribing a GI protectant such as sucralfate which acts as a "bandage" on ulcerated GI mucosa.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.