Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

A year (approximately) we bought 2 brothers aged 5 months from

Customer Question

A year (approximately) we bought 2 brothers aged 5 months from a breeder, we were initially only going to get one cat but once we had seen the state they were being kept in we just could not leave either one in this disgusting place so bought them both home. Cooper never really got the litter tray thing. I thought that he was just being naughty but now reading about maddening I realise that this could be the problem. We have always had cats (our last cat lived for 16 years) and have never had any problems but have never had two cats together. I have watched the cats more closely over the last week and I do think that there is tension between them. They seem to spend less and less time in the same room, but at night we put them in the kitchen together where they are fed and we have two litter trays. I have also bought a Felaway defuser but I am not sure this has had any effect. Any advise you can give us would be very gratefully received as we don't want to 'get rid' of either cat but this situation cannot go on. Both my husband and I are at work all day.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about your situation...I am very sorry that it has taken us so long to answer your question.

From what you have told me, it appears that Cooper is suffering from some type of stress that has caused this inappropriate elimination. This could be due to a territorial issue or some other stress. Most likely this is a terrotory issue with your other cat. The first thing to do is to have your vet examine Cooper to be sure there is not a medical reason for this behavior. Since you have already tried the Feliway, then other things will have ot be done. Next, make sure to change all litter boxes to different places especially where there is little traffic. Keep these boxes extremely clean.Have at least 2-3 per cat.

Try using different types of litter and make sure to clean these areas with an odor eliminator such as Nature’s Miracle.

Use aluminum foil or double sided tape in the problem areas which may discourage using these spots.

If this is not sufficient, your vet has medication that can help with this problem and, if used along with the Feliway, hopefully, will be successful. These medications are antianxiety drugs such as Fluoxetine or Clomipramine. Here is a website that has more tips:

www.petplace.com/cats/inappropriate-elimination/page1.aspx

Click CLOSE WINDOWS to get into this site.

http://pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/cat-behavior-problem-medications

I do believe, since this has been going on for so long and there is anxiety between the cats, that the use of the medication is the only thing that will work on Cooper. This is often given for only 2-3 months and at that time, he is used to using the litter box and will be able to stay with you and the other cat.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta