Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
56364752

My dog is panting and is crying, dose not seem in pain and

Customer Question

My dog is panting and is crying, dose not seem in pain and just wants to have a cuddle, she was sick once yesterday after eating grass. She hadn't got a temp. Please can you give my some advice. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I am a licensed veterinarian and I'm here to help you. Sorry to hear that Hettie isn't feeling well! Something is bothering her. . .panting and crying. It could be her stomach or intestines since she did vomit yesterday after eating grass. Is she eating and drinking OK since then?

JACUSTOMER-so2l41dv- :

She had her supper ok and is drinking fine, not panting know and seems a bit calmer,

Dr. Barbara :

Thanks for responding! I'm glad that Hettie seems calmer now, and since she has eaten normally, she may be one of those dogs that just like grass. Almost always dogs will vomit after eating grass, but we can tell if they indeed have a gi problem if they continue to vomit or don't have a normal appetite. Hettie must be one of those that just likes her "salad"!

Dr. Barbara :

Does she show you any other problems that could be causing her discomfort? Is she licking anywhere or scratching more than normal?

Dr. Barbara :

I have to be away from my computer for a couple of hours. I'll check back here as soon as I can. In the meantime, I also have another question about Hettie. . .is she urinating normally? Chat with you in a little while. Dr. Barbara

JACUSTOMER-so2l41dv- :

She wants to go out a bit more than normal! And we did find flees the other day so we gave her a bath with dog shampoo. We have used shampoo before so I don't think it could be that.

JACUSTOMER-so2l41dv- :

Hettie is sleeping now and seems settled, if she has a urine infection would she have a temp all the time?

Dr. Barbara :

Hi! I'm back. Urinary tract infections can cause discomfort, causes them usually to produce more urine, and causes them to need to urinate more frequently. Since she has been needing to go out more often, this could be the problem, and an exam by your vet as well as having a urinalysis done would be in order.

Dr. Barbara :

Also, fleas could very well be the problem. A flea bath only takes care of the fleas on her, but 80% of the flea load is in her environment not on Hettie. This is why topical drops like Advantage or Frontline work so well. These actually kill the fleas before they get a chance to bite Hettie, and they do this for one month. With these you only apply the drops monthly.

Dr. Barbara :

Oh, and you mentioned about a fever with a UTI (urinary tract infection). A lower urinary tract infection does not usually cause a fever. If, however, Hettie's kidneys become involved (the infection goes up the ureters to the kidneys), then Hettie would be quite ill and run a temperature.

JACUSTOMER-so2l41dv- :

Thank you so much for your help and support, will get her to the vet today. Nice to know help is always around.

JACUSTOMER-so2l41dv- :

Thank you for your support and help, I will take her to the vets today, nice to know there is always help around.

Dr. Barbara :

You are welcome! I'm glad that we are here too, and able to give advice and be of help. I'd like to know how Hettie is doing after your visit today. It's 9:24 PM here, and soon I'll be off to bed. I know that it is early morning there for you, so hopefully when I get online in the morning there will be some good news from you! I will be up for 10-15 more minutes so if you need any thing right now, just let me know. . .Dr. Barbara