Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Cat with clumps of matted hair on both sides of spine. Look

Customer Question

Cat with clumps of matted hair on both sides of spine. Look and feel like hard tufts- around 5 clumps on each side. Rest of hair is normal.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

Friend, when we see matted hair in the back area it is usually as a consequence of the cat not being able to groom in that area especially if they are over weight. If Ted has stopped grooming completely this can be a sign of an underlying medical problem and should have a physical examination with family veterinarian. For now what you can do is have your groomer clip the matted hair off, it will be very difficult to comb it out. To avoid this from happening in the future brush is back region 2-3 times a week after the matted hair has been clipped off.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!