Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat is 14years old, query one is wants to be feed all the

Customer Question

My cat is 14years old, query one is wants to be feed all the time, query two is getting bald patches mainly around top neck that seem to be a little crusty. Can you help?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
My moderator has requested that you open up separate questions for each of your cats.

I can tell you, however, that any 14 year old cat who is polyphagic (increased hunger) is likely to be either hyperthyroid or diabetic. Hyperthyroid cats tend to thin down in spite of overeating and may vomit more than most cats are expected to do. They also act younger than their ages. Diabetic cats also are polydipsic/polyuric (increased thirst/increased volume of urine) while only 35% of hyperthyroid cats are polydipsic/polyuric.

The crusty bald patches around the dorsum of the neck most likely represents a papulocrustous eruption of miliary dermatitis in cats. In most cases an allergic dermatitis is responsible - allergies to flea saliva, environmentals such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, as well as food intolerances are considered. Our dermatologists recommend your applying a flea spot-on such as one containing fipronil or imidocloprid even if fleas haven't been seen. If you don't see a positive response, a short course of corticosteroids such as prednisolone can do wonders for these cats. Steroids are also quite effective when addressing environmental allergies but hypoallergenic food trials are suggested if a food intolerance is suspected. The steroids and special foods are available from your vet.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. Please pick just one of your cats for this conversation so my moderator doesn't yell at me.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here