Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

ive taken my bitch(roni)to local vets,they say they might have

Customer Question

ive taken my bitch(roni)to local vets,they say they might have to remove her utteris because of infection.at a cost of £700.00 which i dont have,being on benifits.they have given me a course of antibiopics for the weekend(noroclav)250mg to see if it helps her ..can i get any other help with the costs or more medication cheaper anywhere..??
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

While I appreciate finances are tough, there are ways to get Roni the treatment she needs. Antibiotics can help keep the infection in check for a time, but at the end of the day removing that infected uterus is going to be the best course of action for her. Therefore, we do want to see if we can get her spayed and this infected uterus removed. Now you noted that you are on benefits, but if you are on housing or tax benefits, then she is eligible to be seen by the PDSA (They offer this service and tend to work on a donation system rather then providing a payment system, so you can pay as much as you are able). To find the PDSA nearest to you and check your eligibility, you can check HERE. Even if you don't have a PDSA hospital near you, if you qualify for assistance from PDSA, then they will be able to provide some funds towards her treatment via the Pet Aid Scheme (usually you or the vet practice need to phone for a form to submit to them).

If you aren't eligible, there is still hope. I appreciate it would be a wee trek, but if you are local to London or Grimsby, the Blue Cross (HERE) will see animals in your pet’s situation and as a charity their services are subsidized significantly. London also has the Battersea Dog and Cat Home who offer low cost clinics for pets.

Finally, if the above aren't options, then I would advise contacting the local RSPCA branch (LINK ). The RSPCA does have some hospitals that they will see animals directly (ie Salford, London), but if you are too far from an RSPCA hospital, then some branches can still help subsidize or even cover the costs of getting her treatment. They may even be able to help organize a payment plan and refer you to their contracted vet, who will likely have a contracted price range for their charity.

Finally, it is worth speaking to the practice about whether Roni and yourself would be eligible to have her spayed using a Dog's Trust Neutering Voucher (More Information). This could be a wee loophole that can get that infected uterus removed at a cost that is more manageable here.

At the end of the day, we all want what is best for Roni and this can't be left to fester since it would be risking Roni's health further. So, do check your eligibility for the PDSA but also consider contacting those other organizations if you don't meet their requirements. Furthermore, do have a word with your vets about the Dog's Trust offer to see if this might be a means to get her the surgical intervention that will just remove this infected uterus.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember that if you have any lingering questions or concerns, please reply so that we may continue our conversation. I will be happy to work with your further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied (with4-5 stars or a happy face) so that I may receive credit for my assistance. Thank you & have a great day. : )