Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Hi, I have an 8 year old female JRT. She has been vacinated

Customer Question

Hi, I have an 8 year old female JRT. She has been vacinated but after a recent stay in kennels she has come home with a 'snort'. Is this kennel cough?
She is due to go back into kennels mid December so I was intending to get her vacinated against KC. Would I be correct in doing this?
Many thanks,
Maureen
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Good afternoon & welcome, Maureen. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

If Ziggy has come home with a snort after staying in the kennel, then it is quite possible that this could be related to the bacteria that causes kennel cough (KC). This bacteria can often cause dogs to develop a range of upper airway signs (ie coughing, retching, sore throat, nasal discharge or inflammation, fever, etc).

That said, while KC would be the most common agent a dog could pick up in a kennel/shared airspace type setting, sudden onset "snorting" can also be associated with items (ie grass awns, general small pieces of plant material) lodged in the nostrils (if they had garden access for the dogs at the kennel). As well, these signs can also be seen with a viral bug that can be picked up again in kennel situations called parainfluenza (which is something in her general annual vaccine and therefore could be why we are seeing mild signs if this is to blame).

In this situation, I am glad to see that you will be speaking her vet on Monday. They can help differentiate which of these is to blame for wee Ziggy. Depending on her findings, it may be a case of a short course of antibiotics (since KC is a bacterial caused disease) to settle this.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX against Kennel Cough, this is a very good idea if she is due to return to the kennels. Of course, we'd want her to get over this wee condition first, but once this has passed it would be advisable to vaccinated against KC to make sure that if she is exposed in the future her immune system will be ready to fight it and clear it quickly.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember that if you have any lingering questions or concerns, please reply so that we may continue our conversation. I will be happy to work with your further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied (with4-5 stars or a happy face) so that I may receive credit for my assistance. Thank you & have a great day. : )