Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

my 4 month puppy spring spaniel has now and again got blood

Customer Question

my 4 month puppy spring spaniel has now and again got blood in his poo
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am sorry to hear that you are seeing a bit of fresh blood in Alfie's stool. When we see fresh blood in the feces it is often arising from the lower colon. Specifically, we can see this with anal gland disease (though often we will also see a swelling to the side of the rectum or even a wee wound if the gland has ruptured --less likely here), parasitic infection (ie whipworms) and with inflammation/infection of the colon (colitis). Since he is a pup and has just joined the family, our top concerns to rule out initially would be parasitic causes and stress/inflammatory triggers for colitis.

In regards to our approach here, first you may consider worming to remove the concern of parasitic causes. Ideally, you want to use a good quality wormer that will cover against whipworms. Examples would be Panacur, or Milbemax (http://www.milbemax.com/) as it will cover all the worms in question and help rule them out as the cause of this colonic bleeding. These are available over the counter at the vets, pet stores, and some pharmacies. Do make sure you have an idea of his weight before purchasing, so you make sure to get the right dose for his size.

As well, if we have an inflammatory colitis (which can be triggered by stress or diet changes both of which are quite common when puppies go to their new homes) then this can sometimes be settled with a light/easily digestible diet. (Though bacterial induced colitis will often require antibiotic treatment). Examples of bland diets would be boiled chicken with rice, boiled white fish with rice, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or cottage cheese with rice. There are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases like this (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The easily digestible diet will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. We usually will try them on the diet for a week until signs settle, and then slowly weaned back to their normal diet over a week.

If you try the above and this doesn't settle in the next 24-48 hours (since he is wee) or you are seeing blood from the rectum not associated with his passing feces, then you would want to want to follow up with his vet. And if you have ruled out the above and are concerned about bacterial colitis, then also consider bringing in a fecal sample with you for evaluation. The vet will be able to examine him, assess his hydration, and if they too suspect bacterial colitis, then the fecal sample can be sent to the lab for evaluation to identify the agent responsible and what treatment will be effective to clear it. As well or alternatively, the vet can also cover him with broad spectrum antibiotics to treat against the most common bacterial agents of colitis and dog safe anti-diarrheal medication (ie Kaolin, Protexin, etc) to settle this for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember that if you have any lingering questions or concerns, please reply so that we may continue our conversation. I will be happy to work with your further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied (with4-5 stars or a happy face) so that I may receive credit for my assistance. Thank you & have a great day. : )