Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Hello, We have a miniature black and tan XXXXX XXXXX who

Customer Question

Hello, We have a miniature black and tan XXXXX XXXXX who has a bad hip. We have been told by a vet that the treatment is very expensive. We are pensioners receiving Council Tax rebate. She was taken to our vet and we were told that nothing was wrong, so changed vet who took an x-ray and told us that she needs an operation. She is only 12 months old.
Can you please let us know if we could have her seen at the PDSA and make a donation over a period of time.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am sorry to hear about Tilly's situation.
As your vet has noted, hip replacement operations in dogs can be quite costly. Furthermore, they are often only performed at specialist facilities by specialist veterinary surgeons. That said, as Tilly is a small breed dog, she may be a candidate for an alternative surgical option. Specifically, she may be a candidate for a femoral head ostectomy (where the femoral head is removed and the muscle/scar tissue form a faux joint. This is an option often used in cats and some small dogs and they can do very well with this). If so, this would be a surgical option that would potentially be more within your means and a procedure that a general practice vet or PDSA vet could perform for her.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX being seen by the PDSA, if you are on housing or council tax benefits, then she would be eligible if there is a PDSA hospital near you (If there isn't, then she'd still be eligible for PDSA's Pet Aid but this would only offset a portion of the surgeries cost at a participating vet). To find the PDSA nearest to you and check your eligibility, you can check HERE. It worth noting that the PDSA cannot set up payment plans but if you are eligible then you can donate as much as you possibly can to the PDSA to help fund the expense of her surgery.

If you aren't eligible, there is still hope. I appreciate it would be a wee trek, but if you are local to London or Grimsby and in their catchment area, the Blue Cross (HERE) will see animals in her situation.

Finally, if the above aren't options, then I would advise contacting the local RSPCA branch (LINK ). The RSPCA does have some hospitals that they will see animals directly (ie London, Salford), but if you are too far from an RSPCA hospital, then some branches can still help subsidize the costs of getting her treatment. They may even be able to help organize a payment plan and refer you to their contracted vet, who will likely have a contracted price range for their charity.

At the end of the day, we all want what is best for Tilly and with her being so young it would be terrible to let her suffer with this. So, do check your eligibility for the PDSA but also consider contacting those other organizations if you don't meet PDSA's requirements.

I hope this information is helpful.
Please do let me know if you have any further questions.
If you have no further questions, feedback is greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to rate my answer, so that I may receive credit for my assistance today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the questions or issues you might have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. If you are satisfied, please click the 4-5 stars or associated happy face so that I may receive credit for my assistance.