Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog is always hungry I could put a dozen bowls of food down

Customer Question

My dog is always hungry I could put a dozen bowls of food down per day and he would probably eat them all. When he is in the house he is watching every move you make especialy if it involves cupboards as he thinks cupboards mean food.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
We need to differentiate a food obsessed dog from one with a medical disorder that causes polyphagia (increased hunger) such as diabetes mellitus, Cushing's disease, maldigestion due to a pancreatic exocrine deficiency (lack of digestive enzymes produced by the pancreas), and a malabsorption disorder (the gastrointestinal tract is unable to absorb food that is digested). Diabetes and Cushings would be unlikely at Joel's age and so I would be looking to see if he's able to digest his food properly. This is done by performing a blood test called the PLI. If maldigestion is found, supplementing with digestive enzymes in his food is indicated. Most dogs with pancreatic exocrine deficiency also exhibit loose stools - not all, but most.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.