Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience as a veterinary surgeon
23462335

My dog is having trouble with his back legs, its like they

Customer Question

My dog is having trouble with his back legs, it's like they have no power. It just happened all of a sudden. He is off balance but doesnt seem to be in pain and his appetite is fine. Is this an age thing?
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry Blackie has this problem.

There are many things that cause limb weakness and wobbly movements. Many of these conditions indeed are seen in older animals.

Possible causes include arthritis, vestibular disease (like labyrinthitis in humans) and metabolic and hormonal diseases as well as heart disease can less commonly cause weakness.

These conditions all have different rates and degrees of progression and some can be improved with medications.

Blackie is still a young dog if his age is presumed around 8 so it is definitely worth getting him examined so an accurate diagnosis can be made and the correct mediation provided to hopefully improve mobility and strength.

Good luck

Dan Makin