Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
56364752

Hi we have 12 year old Maine Coon and first took him to the

Customer Question

Hi we have 12 year old Maine Coon and first took him to the vet in August because he had a red eye - though he didn't appear to be ill in himself. A course of eye drops had no effect and we were advised to take hime to a place in Bletchingly for thorough tests in case it was a tumour. They advised us that the tests revealed no abnormalities and were given 2 eye drops - Pred Forte 5ml and Trusopt 2% - which we gave three times a day - and the eye cleared.

In about six weeks time the red eye came back and we suspected an ear infection as he kept shaking his head. Back to vet - firstly for more eye drops amd anti biotics for his ear. The redness has not cleared and the vet said said it looked certain to be cancer of the eye and suggested that steroids would help and would also confirm if it was cancer as the steroids would produce a quick clearing of the eye. He had the injection Friday morning and is due to go back tomorrow to see if a longer lasting injection should be given.

The red eye has not cleared but he is a lot happier - up and down , in and out eating, purring etc. His coat is still not as good as when he was younger but is not too bad.

We do not seem to be getting to the bottom of what is wrong and we have been told that the report from Bletchingly did include the fact that he was blind in one eye due to glaucoma - not happy that we were not told that at the time and I am thinking of changing vets.

Have you any ideas as to what might be wrong.
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I am a licensed veterinarian and I'm here to help you. I'm sorry to hear that So So apparently has glaucoma in his eye. . .this is what Trusopt seemed to effectively treat. One of the causes of glaucoma is a tumor in the eye. I'm unclear. . . have you continued to use the Trusopt or did SoSo's red eye return after you had stopped the Trusopt?