Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My welsh pony keeps scrubbing himself raw.We think it might

Customer Question

My welsh pony keeps scrubbing himself raw.We think it might be sweet itch,but not sure,as he rubs his shoulders and face and neck. What can we do to help him?
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It appears that Tenor is suffering from a severe allergic reaction. The treatment for this is Benadryl at 1 mg per estimated pound of Tenor's weight every 12 hrs. Give this ground up in feed for 7 to 10 days. Often, they are allergic to things that you cannot get rid of such as pollen or dirt....try this and if this is not enough, your vet will have stronger medications such as steroids to get Tenor past this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta