Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

I have a nine week old westie. He has diarrhea.

Customer Question

I have a nine week old westie. He has diarrhea. We have continued the diet from his previous owners. we brought him home on saturday. He is still quite lively and likes to keep me up at night my concern is that there is something seriuosly wrong with him. I would add he is on kibble and the previous owner advised us to soak the kibble to soften before adding some chicken. His poo is quite smelly.Can I do anything to help stop this.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting?
2- Any blood in the stool?
3- Any other symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He was sick once but I think this was because he had picked up something off the floor. I cannot see any blood in the stools which is mostly water based
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Kaye, in a puppy with watery diarrhea it can be caused by: Intestinal parasites, infections, dietary indiscretion, etc. to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. You see, stopping the diarrhea with medication can make things worst if this is related to an infection or ingestion of a foreign body.
2- No food or water for 4-6 hours, need to give gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amounts of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.
3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.
4- Follow up with family veterinarian for puppy exam and deworming.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter