Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My staffie cross has two lumps, one on her right leg & the

Customer Question

My staffie cross has two lumps, one on her right leg & the other on her tummy, does she need urgent treatment?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Are the lumps above or below the skin?
2- Are they bothering her?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1. below the skin 2.yes

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
1- Can you describe what they are doing to her?
2- Is it possible she could have been bit by an insect?
3- How much does she weigh?
4- Is she breathing ok?
5- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?
6- Can you take her rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

she has not been bitten, last time she was weighed she was 19kg i think her breathing is fine & her gums are pink

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
1- Is she licking or biting the lumps; what is she doing?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

she licks them

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Andrea, the lumps that you are describing do not sound like a life threatening condition, she does not need urgent treatment. If the lumps came on quickly it is most like an inflammatory process. This is what you can do until she is seen by family veterinarian:

1- Need to stop her from licking or she is going to cause a sore in the area. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing at affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy a topical hydrocortisone cream and apply it in the area 2-3 times a day.

3- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter