Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My 2 year old hamster has a lump in her tummy.

Customer Question

My 2 year old hamster has a lump in her tummy. I first noticed it about 3 months ago, it grew to about the size of a ping pong ball over a week or 2 and she got very lethargic and stopped eating,then suddenly one day it disappeared completely, she felt squidgey around it almost as if it had popped, but appeared to make a full recovery and was back to her usual self for about a month but now I think it's started to grow back and she's getting lethargic again? It's all internal, no external injuries. Is she tok old too take to the vet or could they help her?

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 4 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

I'm sorry that your hamster is experiencing this. She is never too old to be helped or go to the vet. She may however be to sick to help depending on what the mass in the belly is. Of course to determine that the vet will need to do diagnostics. If you are willing to pursue diagnostics and possible treatment all options of xrays, ultrasound, surgery etc, are open to hamsters just like dogs and cats. I do think it is worthwhile to know what is going on that way we can try to predict the future for your hamster and see if there are any solutions. What is very likely is that this is a liver cyst which hamsters are quite prone to. These are fluid filled sacks on the liver that can take up space in Crumpet's abdomen making her feel bad. If this is the cast then simply draining the fluid each time it refills can be very helpful to her quality of life. I would consider a diagnosis for her and to see if there is anything that they can do to help her or at least keep her more comfortable and less lethargic.

I hope this helps, best wishes.
Dr. Dan