Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Cockerel aged 6

Customer Question

Cockerel aged 6 (Buff Orpington)
Has lost balance (though can still walk in straight line) and only seems to be able to see out of one eye (not sure if connected with first problem)
Gently opening and closing beak most of time.
Eating but not drinking much
Question-could it be a stroke,ear mites/ear infection or leg problem.
Cannot see vet till tomorrow
Should I syringe feed him some water
Can I give him painkiller in case he is in pain
I have 300 mg aspirins and Meloxicam oral for cats 0.5mg/ml
I don't know his exact weight but he is a Buff Orpington cockerel and they average about 8.5 lbs (3.85 kg)
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about Robert's situation, and want to respond to you.

If you do still need help, I would ask if you could give me a wee bit more information about Robert.

What makes you suspect blindness?
If you quitely make movements towards that eye with your hand, does he fail to react as he does with the other eye?

Does he have a head tilt?
Does he appear to circle in a particular direction?

Does he place his feet properly when he steps or does he knuckle them under (ie try to walk on the tops)?

Can you tell me what his respiratory rate is (you can check this by counting his breaths for 10 seconds and multiplying by 6)?
Do you think he is gasping?
Is he showing neck extension?