Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience as a veterinary surgeon
23462335

My cat is driven mad by scratching and cleaning his fur. he

Customer Question

My cat is driven mad by scratching and cleaning his fur. he also seems unwell. I de flea him on a regular basis b ut have not wormed him. He also is not himself and I was wondering if he might have worms and if what I have described is a symptom
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry Alfie is irritated.

Excessive licking isn't a typical sign of fleas and will likely result from skin irritation or from stress (over grooming).

Firstly, it is important that he is passing urine and faeces as well as not vomiting or has diarrhoea. Sometimes excessive licking can be seen in cats that have bladder inflammation or have a blocked bladder so this is important. If you feel he hasn't urinated then he needs to be seen ASAP as a blocked bladder is an emergency and cats can die from this.

If he is urinating normally then his skin should be checked for the presence of infection or inflammation. If your regular flea treatment is shop bought i.e form the supermarket or the pet shop then he may still have fleas as these products are far from 100% effective.

So I would get him checked by your vet, this will confirm or eliminate fleas as a cause and if it is not fleas then investigations can begin looking into the cause of the excessive licking.

Good luck and I hope he is OK

Dan Makin