Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My budgie has always been prone to v loose poo. He is smaller

Customer Question

My budgie has always been prone to v loose poo. He is smaller than my other three but is as happy an healthy as the others. The vet in the past has tried probiotics which I add to food regularly. The only thing that usually helps for a little while is cider vinegar in water however it has been constant for 4 weeks and although he well as are all other birds (no poo issues) Im concerned long term effects. Charcle hasn't helped so far either and the only eat a small amount apple or peas once p.week can you recommend any products I could buy. I've found Johnsons diarrhoea from pet shop useless
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Lewi. In the great majority of cases we'll find a gram negative bacterial infection in the gastrointestinal tract of budgies which is causing that persistent diarrhea. Rather than probiotics, has the vet recommended that you initiate antibiotic therapy in the form of an oral solution placed directly into Lewi's beak?

My antibiotic of choice would be enrofloxacin dosed at 10mg/kg twice daily for 10 consecutive days. Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi how can i obtain the above. can i buy over counter pet shop or somewhere or do i need prescription and can i purchase thro yourself . Having paid you for your advice i honestly cant afford to pay for vet consultation to tell me the same before then being able to purchasse the meds. pls help (im also house bound disabled and unwaged making vet visit v complicated and costly hence my contact with yourself via computer. thanks denny

I'm sorry, Denny, but I'm not allowed to prescribe through this site. The antibiotic I mentioned is only available by prescription. You have the option of purchasing a water soluble antibiotic such as tetracycline in a pet shop but I must admit that most birds won't drink enough to medicate themselves properly.

Unless you have a caretaker who can help bring Lewi to a vet for the medication, I'm afraid that I don't have any other ideas for you.