Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog is a Cocker Spaniel 11 years old; a few hours ago he

Customer Question

My dog is a Cocker Spaniel 11 years old; a few hours ago he was eating his food and waiting for mine but always make him to eat his food first. Then I don't know for what reason he seem dizzy and could not move his back legs, he was more and less with his tummy on the floor; his head and eyes were moving from one place to another. I believe he is always cleaning in the back; but I don't know that is his bottom or his tail.
I started to pass my hand over his tummy and appears he liked.
What is it?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he back to normal?
2- How long did this episode last?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is normal now.

lasted for 3 or 4 minutes

He has been very healthy, no illnesses at all

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Martha, what you are describing is consistent with a seizure. When a dog seizes there could be an underlying medical problem causing the seizure. Possible causes for seizures in dogs are an under active thyroid (hypothyroidism), kidney or liver disease, hypoglycemia, brain tumors, idiopathic (unknown), etc. to name a few causes. The most common cause is idiopathic epilepsy, meaning we do not know why the brain behaves in such manner but we can control the seizures with medications (phenobarbital or/and potassium bromide).
In this case, I would highly recommend a check up with family veterinarian for a hands on examination and blood work as initial screening test to rule out the above mentioned diseases. If the seizures occur more than once a month medication should be started to stop or prevent the seizures. Observe him tonight, if she seizes again have him checked by ER veterinarian.
I would also recommend a grain free diet like Taste of Wild or California Natural; we are learning that ingredients like gluten (protein in wheat, rye and barley), corn, soy, and casein (protein in milk) can play a role in seizure activity in dogs. Table food and treats should also be free of the above ingredients.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter