Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

11month old STAFFORDSHIRE CROSS WAS CASTRATED TODAY AND HAS

Customer Question

11month old STAFFORDSHIRE CROSS WAS CASTRATED TODAY AND HAS BEEN SICK ON AND OFF SINCE COMING OUT OF THE VETS AND HAS BEEN SICK POO AND WATER HAVE SPOKEN TO THE SURGERY AND ADVISED TO TAKE TO THERE SURGERY IN RAYLEIGH FROM DAGENHAM PLEASE ADVISE WHAT SHOULD WE DO.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- When you say sick you mean he is vomiting?
2- Is he lethargic?
3- Is he on any medications?
4- Did he eat and drink after getting home?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes yes lethargic no meds no food at all

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

please help

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
1- How much does he weigh?
2- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

everything seams to have settled down now going to vets in morning thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Janet, it is very common for the patient to vomit after anesthesia. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.
2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water if he is fully awake. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above, he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter