Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 13 year old Cocker Spaniel has a corneal ulcer which is

My 13 year old Cocker Spaniel has a corneal ulcer which is being treated by my vet, and seems to be responding well. Her eye is cloudy and as she already has sight problems this is causing her considerable distress, and she is unable to to find her way about at all well. Will this cloudiness clear or at least improve, and will her droopy lower eyelids get back to normal.

Hello & welcome. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

When you say Phoebe's eye is cloudy, do you mean the same eye as the ulcer?

Does the clouding on the corneal surface or are you seeing cloudy within the eye (in the lens)?

Did the clouding only appear around the time she developed the ucler?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The clouding is on the surface of the cornea where the ulcer is(was) I know she has cataracts in both eyes but they are not very visible as yet. The clouding has appeared along with the ulcer. The droopy eyelids were the first indication of the presence of an eye problem and I took her to the vet immediately.

Thank you for the further information about Phoebe's eye.

These signs you have seen, the drooped eyelid and the corneal clouding are actually part of the eye's natural response to the traumatic ulcer it has experienced.

The eyelid will appear drooped due to inflammation of the conjunctiva/pink tissue around the eye. This is the eye's way of defending its compromised cornea as well as increasing access of the immune system to the eye (increased vasculature to allow white blood cells to reach the damage site). In regards XXXXX XXXXX clouding in the region of the corneal ulcer is actually part of the eye's inflammatory response. It is called cornea edema and it is the eye's way of swelling and taking up water in response to the trauma it has experienced (the cornea's version of puffing up like an injured or infected finger would).

Overall, both of these signs confirm that the eye had been injured (which you responded to by getting to her vet) and as the eye heals and the inflammation subsides, we should see the clouding fade away and the eyelid return to its normal level.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your reply it is very reassuring. It is difficult to watch my beloved Phoebe walking into furniture and not be able to find her way to her bed, but hopefully this will only last for a short time. Thank you again for your time and effort.

You are very welcome. Smile

I appreciate it won't be nice to watch wee Phoebe struggle with her sight, but as long as there is no damage to the internal eye structures then once this ulceration and its associated inflammation, we should see her sight return to how it was prior to the damage. For the moment, it will be a case to limiting her access to areas where she can get around safely (ie away from stairs or sharp items) until this settles for her.

Take care,

Dr. B.