Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have an 8 week old dutch rabbit and I just picked him up

Customer Question

I have an 8 week old dutch rabbit and I just picked him up to put him in his cage and he jumped and landed on his head! This happened about 20 minutes ago and he is very dazed and confused! He also is hiding in a corner curled up and won't come out! I really don't think he is ok! Do you have any advice I'm very worried
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help with your concerns about Tyson.

I'm so sorry to see that you have been waiting a while for an answer. If you still need help and advice I'd like to help.

I am very concerned about Tyson and I don't think that he is OK either.

Rabbits are a prey species so usually the problem is that they are injured or sick and don't let us know it because they are masters at hiding any weakness. This is something they do to avoid being seen as weak by a predator and avoid getting eaten. The fact that he is obviously not well highly concerns me.

Rabbits have a very weak spine. My concern is that he may have spinal damage or even head trauma. These require immediate treatment. Steroids may help bring down the damaging inflammation/pressure in his brain or on his spinal cord which could save his life.

I absolutely recommend an emergency clinic visit now if possible.

If that is not possible then keep him warm and quiet tonight, let him rest and have him seen immediately in the morning. If this is a spinal cord injury or head trauma the less he moves around the better. Make sure to have food and water close so he doesn't have to move much to eat or drink if he would like to do so, though I doubt he will tonight.

I'm sorry to hear about his accident, please let me know if you have any further questions.