How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. B. Your Own Question
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 21265
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. B. is online now

my dog has just ate 193g of guylian chocolates he is 6 years

Customer Question

my dog has just ate 193g of guylian chocolates he is 6 years old and his wait is about 45/46kg
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Vet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.


I am afraid that it is the season for chocolate troubles for dogs. If Cheko is 46kg and he has ingested only 193grams of milk chocolate, then we are unlikely to see significant issue. If this was dark chocolate, then we could see mild signs of intoxication from this. In regards to what we'd expect in this situation with that volume, we may see some mild GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea) and hyperactivity but unlikely to see anything more serious (like abnormal heart rate, tremors, seizures)

Therefore, since this has been a small volume and so recently (<30-60 min), you do have two options. You can monitor him and feed a light diet (ie boiled chicken or white fish or scrambled egg and rice) to keep his stomach settled. Or you can choose to induce vomiting now to just make sure he doesn't have any absorption and thus ill effects of this small dose of chocolate.

Just to outline how to induce vomiting, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster -- just we want to give it orally and get into your him. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get his to walk about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated once more. And if we still have no vomiting, then we could consider seeing his vet so that the vet can administer apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) to get the chocolate back before it can be absorbed.

Overall, this is a small dose for a dog his size and we'd not expect any serious signs of poisoning from this. Therefore, you can induce vomiting now for peace of mind or just monitor him for the above signs and offer a light diet.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )