Dr. Steven Osborne
Dr. Steven Osborne, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of Veterinary Medicine expertise with experience in canine and feline medicine and surgery
31531426

I need a vet I have my brothers dog with she is hurt by a car

Customer Question

I need a vet I have my brothers dog with she is hurt by a car what can I do please
Expert:  Dr. Steven Osborne replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Hi, I'm Dr Steve. I am sorry to hear about Staff's problem. How long ago did this happen?

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Can you see any active bleeding anywhere?

JACUSTOMER-h5batbo9- :

No blooding on her lemping on her leg

Dr. Steven Osborne :

How is she acting now and do you know if she was "bumped" or actually run over

JACUSTOMER-h5batbo9- :

Bumpet

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Which leg is she limping on?

JACUSTOMER-h5batbo9- :

Top right and left back and mobly rib

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Is she putting any weight on the leg at all or is she not walking on it? Can she seem to make herself comfortable when resting?

JACUSTOMER-h5batbo9- :

Laying down is she aloned to sleep

Dr. Steven Osborne :

How long ago did it happen?

JACUSTOMER-h5batbo9- :

2 45 half power ago

Dr. Steven Osborne :

When she walks does she put any weight on the sore legs?

JACUSTOMER-h5batbo9- :

Yes us she aloned to sleep now

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Since it has been a little while since the accident, the risk of shock may be over by now. If she seems comfortable and can rest it should be ok to let her sleep.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

If she is putting some weight on the sore legs they may only be bruised and not broken. If she is not looking better tomorrow she should be seen by a vet to assess her injuries and determine if there are any fractures or if she may need medicine for inflammation or pain.

JACUSTOMER-h5batbo9- :

OK thank you

Dr. Steven Osborne :

One other thing I always discuss with clients who have had a dog that was hit by a car is the possibility of internal bleeding. Can you look at her gums in her mouth and see if they are pink?

JACUSTOMER-h5batbo9- :

Not pink

Dr. Steven Osborne :

If they are pink then the possibility of internal bleeding is less . I also recommend keeping her in the same room with you tonight so you can watch to see if she develops any other symptoms. If she would start to cough, vomit or act like she is in pain ( whining, especially) then you may need to take her to an er vet at that time. It is likely that this won't happen , but I wanted you to knwo what to watch for and what to do. What color are the gums?

JACUSTOMER-h5batbo9- :

She was sick eler ago White

Dr. Steven Osborne :

If you gently press on them can you make them turn whiter and see a little pink come back when yo let your finger off?

JACUSTOMER-h5batbo9- :

Yes done that elder she told red in mouth

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Ok, If there is some color when you push on them that is a good sign. If there was no color that came back then it would be best to take her to an er vet tonight, but if there is color then she may be ok. It would be a good idea to check the color of her gums every 3-4 hours to make sure they are not becoming more white.

JACUSTOMER-h5batbo9- :

Thank youOK

Dr. Steven Osborne :

If she is limping tomorrow or the next day she should be seen by a vet , unless she is much much better. I know it is scary when your dog is hit by a car and there is a potential for severe injury, but hopefully she wn't be in such bad shape tomorrow. I hope this has helped. My goal is to answer your question satisfactorily. If you have more questions, please continue

Dr. Steven Osborne :

I would appreciate an update in the next few days if yo don't mind so I can know how she turned out. THanks for the question and good luck.

JACUSTOMER-h5batbo9- :

Yes thank you

Dr. Steven Osborne :

you are welcome. Have a nice weekend.

JACUSTOMER-h5batbo9- :

Thank you you have a nice week end

Dr. Steven Osborne :

I am just checking in to see if you have any more questions and hope you have an easy night

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Hello, I am checking in to see how oyur brother's dog is getting along today. I will check throughout the night.