Dr. P
Dr. P, Veterinarian
Experience:  11 years small animal private practice & emergency.
14859682

My female 18 month old cat has woken with a gungey right eye.

My female 18 month old cat has woken with a gungey right eye. What can I do to help her?

Dr. P :

Good morning and welcome to Just Answer!

Dr. P :

Is she keeping the eye shut? and if you look at the white of her eye, is it red at al?

Customer:

She keeps closing it over and it doesn't seem red yet

Dr. P :

Ok so the no red yet is a good thing. She will need an appointment eventually but for now keep wiping the discharge away with a washcloth and warm water. You have to try to keep her from rubbing it because she could create an ulceration by doing that. If worse comes to worse, go to your pet store and get one of those soft elizabethan collars (cone head) for her so that she can't reach it. Keep watching for the redness. If it gets worse, then you will need to have her seen by someone this weekend. It isn't good to let an eye problem go for too long.

Customer:

I'm just afraid of cat flu that's all. She does constantly give cuddles and rubs her face in yours. My 3 year old has a cold at the moment for you think he could of caused it hugging her.

Dr. P :

I know that we can pass conjunctivitis with close contact (pink eye) but other than that no. If she were to have an upper respiratory infection then you will also see a runny nose, sneezing, and usually with that comes fever and a loss in appetite. If you see that then definitely bring her in sooner. If she holds her own through the weekend then make sure you get her into your vet on Monday.

Customer:

Thank you ever so much for your help it is much appreciated if will keep an eye on her and get in touch with the vet if it gets any worse. I'll keep bathing it for now though.

Dr. P :

Sounds good! Best of luck to you!