knstrand
knstrand, Veterinarian
Experience:  I'm a small animal veterinarian - dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, rabbits, pocket pets
71139618

I have a 10 year old Red Setter who has fractured his front

I have a 10 year old Red Setter who has fractured his front femur in one leg on the beach on Monday. The X ray shows bone cancer was probably the cause for the weakened bone fracturing. Other than having him put to sleep the vet says the least she can offer is to take his leg off upto and including his shoulder bone.

Bearing in mind his age and active life is this a realistic future for him?

knstrand :

Hello, my name isXXXXX I can try to help answer your questions about your dog.

knstrand :

So sorry to hear this happened. Unfortunately bone cancer (ostosarcoma - most commonly) is a cause for these pathological fractures.

knstrand :

Amputation is the best scenario for these patients. If your dog is a very active, physically fit (trim) animal, he will likely do very well with one front leg amputated.

knstrand :

I heard one of my collegues say once (an I liked the quote) so I will use it here that dogs and cats are born with 3 legs and a spare.

knstrand :

Meaning they do very very well on three legs.

knstrand :

The main concern is that osteosarcoma is a metastatic disease which can have already spread prior to amputation.

knstrand :

I would recommend a chest x-ray, and abdominal ultrasound to rule out metastasis of cancer before you put him through the amputation. If metastases are already present, it's probably not a good idea to put him through a major procedure such as amputation.

knstrand :

If there are no mets present, go ahead with the amputation and possibly follow up chemotherapy protocals.

knstrand :

Hopefully this helps.... please feel free to respond.