Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have 2 lhaso apso dogs .1 age 11 .1 age 9.both healthy/I

Customer Question

I have 2 lhaso apso dogs .1 age 11 .1 age 9.both healthy/I feed them both I ams senior dry food with a little fresh chicken.I have read some bad reviews about this food, and wondered if I should change it. My dogs have been on this diet all their life.
MRS GRAY.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee ones today.

Deciding what to feed our dogs is a decision that is very much up to the individual and to an extent the pets that are being fed the diet. There are a lot of different diets on the market and therefore a lot of options to choose from.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX diets specifically, they are considered an average quality diet. While the recipe for the senior dry is not available, I would suggest having a read of the dietary break down of a similar dry diet by this brand (HERE). You can compare this to the ingredient contents on the back of Honey & Star's kibble. This will give you an idea of the general quality of their diets and the contents within them.

If you do consider changing their diets at this stage, I would suggest having a peek HERE. This website is very good at breaking down diet components to give you a better understanding of what you are feeding your dogs. This list are some the 'highest quality rated' diets and may be a good pool of diets to consider picking their next diet from. Furthermore, since it is a US site, I would say that Royal Canin and James Wellbeloved would also be good diet options to consider.

Finally, just to note if you do change their diet, remember to wean them over gradually. This means offering 1/4 of the new diet with 3/4 of the old for a few days, then 1/2 of each for a few days, and so on. This will just avoid the GI upset and potential vomiting or diarrhea one can cause by switching a diet too quickly.

Overall, Iam's isn't a 'bad' diet but it is a fairly average one. Therefore, if you have been turned off by this diet and its contents, then do review those better quality diets to see if there is one that would meet Honey and Star's needs better.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )