Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience as a veterinary surgeon
23462335

Hi please help. My cat keeps dragging her backside on the floor

Hi please help. My cat keeps dragging her backside on the floor after she has passed a stool. I was told she probably have worms so although i have wormed her several times she still does it. I took her to the vet who treated her for an infection but this made no difference either. At my wits end cleaning the carpet everyday what could it be. Ps the vet said she was very healthy!!

Belinda
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi Belinda,

Hopefully this is a straightforward problem.

This scooting along the floor is a common sign seen in dogs and cats. It typically indicates anal irritation and usually this is because the anal glands are impacted.

My cat does this a lot (typically on the rug!) and once they are emptied she is fine.

So it seems simple but your vet may have overlooked this. So definitely pop back and request the anal glands are checked and hopefully it will be a simple rapid solution.

Good luck

Dan Makin
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Dan - will this mean she needs an op please?

Gosh no not at all. It takes less than a minute and just involves your vet or nurse squeezing the glands eitherside of the bottom. It maybe mildly uncomfortable for a spilt second. Easy to do though.

Dan