Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Noticed blood from my male cat from behind he is not eating

Noticed blood from my male cat from behind he is not eating much or drinking and also has loose stools
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is the blood in the feces? If not, can you check to see the source of the blood?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It seems to hve stopped now i gave him a clean, but yesterday he was walking as if he was drunk and panting.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
So there is nothing externally that you can find the source of the blood like a cut, swelling in anal region, etc.?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Doesnt seem to be, think all this has stemmed from him not being well very loose stools as well.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Doesnt seem to be he hasnt been well for over a week now, loose stools,panting,cant b bothered to clean himself.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Carol, if you are not seeing a source of blood in the body and the fact that he has loose stool then the most likely source is the intestinal tract. When we see blood and loose stool it is a sign of inflammation in the colon, he has colitis. There are many possible causes for colitis in cats, it will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. Him not eating and not feeling well is a consequence of the colitis and primary underlying cause as listed above. Highly recommend a hands on examination with a veterinarian in the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.
2- No food or water for 6-8 hours, need to give gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amounts of water followed by a diet of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.
3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.
4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter