Dr. Steven Osborne
Dr. Steven Osborne, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years of Veterinary Medicine expertise with experience in canine and feline medicine and surgery
31531426

I have a four year old highly active golden retriever. For

Customer Question

I have a four year old highly active golden retriever. For the last week or so, he periodically has a shaking in his back right leg, and then pulls it back a bit. Thislasts for a few minutes and then he's back to his old playful self. No injuries have been sustained. This doesn't happen every day, and doesn't seem to follow any pattern. I gave him a Rimadyl this morning. Thoughts?

Dave
Expert:  Dr. Steven Osborne replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Hi, I'm Dr Steve. I am sorry that Milo is having trouble.

Customer:

Any responsse relative to what i posted?

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Can you tell if he is shaking his whole leg or the foot . Does it happen after he is walking or after he is laying down and gets up?

Customer:

Sometimes he holds up both front and back foot while lying on his side. He seemshave tremors in both nback and front legs. It lasts for about five minutes.

Customer:

After that it's like nothing happens and he tears around like normal. Milo is in excellent health. Sees a vert regularly.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Does this ever happen when he is standing or only when he is lying down?

Customer:

Sometimes he limps for a short period of time, more obvious when lying down. In both cases, it passes quickly.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

Ok, From your description, there are a few things that come to mind .Mild, early stage arthritis can cause the symptoms he is having. Especially since it improves shortly after he is up and moving around. Rimadyl given daily should help with this. \]

Dr. Steven Osborne :

He is a little young for arthritis, but some dogs do seem to get it at a younger age than others.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

The other possibility would be if his leg "fell asleep" when he was laying down and when he stands it tingles , like in people. It would seem unusual for two legs to have that occur at the same time. but it could happen.

Dr. Steven Osborne :

If the rimadyl helps, then it would seem more likely to be inflammation due to arthritis. If that is the case, then giving him Dasuquin or another joint supplement that contains Glucosamine and Chondroitini should help rerbuild cartilage in the joints and that may be enough to help him out without having to be on Rimadyl all the time. The joint supplements usually take 30 days tp see results so , in the meantime you could continue with the Rimadyl.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX it to the vet on Saturday. I'll keep the daily rimadyl. He doesn't seem to be in any pain at all, just gets lathargic when it happens, almost like a mini siezure. When it passes, it is gone completely.

Dr. Steven Osborne, Veterinarian
Experience: 20 years of Veterinary Medicine expertise with experience in canine and feline medicine and surgery