Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

my african grey 5mths old, he was talking at 4mths, and whistling,

my african grey 5mths old, he was talking at 4mths, and whistling, 4 weeks ago we took him to the vet to have his wings clipped,nails trimmed and the point taken off his beak. because he was flying over us making a noise, and sometime landing on my partners hand,pecking him and flying off. so we decided to have his wings clipped, but he carried on talking and whistling for 2 weeks,then all of a sudden he as stopped talking and whistling. and dont not come to the cage of the door when we call him,like he used to.it seems he as gone so quite,compared to how active he was. can you give us any advise,as what to do? or is this normal for parrots? do you think he will start talking and whistling again?
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

Unfortunately this is not normal at all. Chatty happy birds usually don't suddenly stop interacting like your bird has. This is caused by one of two problems. The first is that since he is clipped he has lost his ability to fly and thus some of his security. The ability to fly is the ability to escape and if birds know they can't escape they feel vulnerable and can go very quite. The other possibility which is much worse is that he's sick. One of the very first signs of illness is going quite and not acting "quite normal." Right now I'd increase his living temperature to 80F. At your next ability take him back to the vet to make sure he is not ill. With Grey's we need to be over cautious to try to catch any possibility of illness early.

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks for you quick response. we have our room quite warm any way, we have the gas fire on night and day! his feet used to be hot when he was on my hand,but now they are cold or just warm. he's eating ok, and drinking, but when he tries to climb in his cage he seems weak. and when he's sitting on the perch he sometimes looks as though he looses his balance. he used to come to the door very quick, but now he dont want to come out of the cage.he is just doing the odd whistle.does this sound like a lack of confidence? will he get all this back when his wings grow again? or could he be taking it all in, and will start talking again soon.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately it doesn't sound like he's adjusting it sounds more like illness especially due to being off balance on the perch. Wing trims only cause abnormal balance while trying to use the wings. The weakness while climbing is also concerning.

He needs to see his vet as soon as possible.

Dr. dan