Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My 8 year old flatcoat is really not acting himself, his poo

My 8 year old flatcoat is really not acting himself, his poo is normal and tail up whilst walking but he just wants to sleep and does not even get off his bed to greet people. He still has an appetite.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any coughing, vomiting or diarrhea?
2- How long has this been going on?
3- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
4- Any pre existing medical conditions?
5- Any other symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

His poo is normal and appetite. He has not been himself since this morning. As far as we know he has not eaten anything although recently he has taken to picking up apples on the floor in the fields.

No pre-existing medical conditions and no other symptoms other than his gums are quite pale. He does not even have any interest in his ball which is a real give away that something is wrong.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Can you take his rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not have a thermometer unfortunately.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Lucy, I am very concern of Spook's gums being very pale. This can explain why he is lethargic or lacking energy. When we see pale gums it is a sign of either decrease blood pressure or cardiac output, poor circulation, blood shifting to other organs, etc. Diseases associated with pale gums are: Heart disease, anemia (decrease red blood cells), tumors, infections, etc. to name a few causes. Untreated any of the above mentioned diseases can have a fatal outcome. For this reason it is extremely important to have Spook seen by a veterinarian as soon as you can. There is really not much I can recommend for you try at home that will have any significant therapeutic benefit. Spook will need a hands on exam, xrays and blood work as initial screening test. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've just got somebody else to check his gums and he feels they look normal and are quite pink so I don't think they are unnormal.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
If they are not pale and are normal then that is a very good news and no need to be alarmed. I would however have him checked by family veterinarian as being lethargic is a very non specific symptom and can be related to so many different conditions that affect dogs. Common causes are: A fever (infections), neuromuscular pain, etc. Your vet depending on physical exam findings may run some test like blood work as initial screening test.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter