Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

my budgie is unwell and his stools are black

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I am quite concerned to hear that Max is unwell and passing black feces. The reason is because if he is unwell, suddenly produced black feces and hasn't been recently fed on a new, highly dark color dyed foods (that could given us a false discoloration of his feces), then this fecal discoloration may be serious for him.

My main concern is that we can see black (tar colored) stools due to the bird having a bleed in his stomach or upper gastrointestinal tract. As well, if the black is actually a very dark green (which you may notice if smeared) then we'd also have to be concerned about his liver health.

In this situation, I would advise that it is prudent to have him seen today (I'd not let this linger over the weekend) since an active GI bleed could put him at serious risk or even be fatal. The sooner he is seen, the sooner his vet can perform a full physical examination, assess him for anemia, and check a fecal smear to help pinpoint the cause of his signs. Depending on the findings, they can guide you on appropriate treatment for the underlying cause and advise you on his long term prognosis with this.

If you need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at http://www.aav.org/search/, Avian web (LINK) or RCVS register (LINK).

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he is still unwell.the vet gave me baytril.he hasn,t eaten for a week.taking him back on friday.