Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

i have a pet goat, 5 yr old doe, who is weak in the hind quarters

Customer Question

i have a pet goat, 5 yr old doe, who is weak in the hind quarters otherwise eating and drinking well and getting around .not pregnant this year.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Even though your girl is not that old, this weakness could be due to either arthritis or due to a neurologic issue from delivery of kids. The best thing to try is to give her aspirin at 3 mg per pound every 12 hrs. Do this for 7 days and see if this helps this weakness. If it is neurologic, there may not be a treatment but usually inflammation is the cause for thsi weakness and the aspirin will reduce this inflammation releasing the nerve supply...it is worth a try...

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thankyou for your help.I had considered arthritis ,so i'll give the aspirin a go.

thanks again colin

Good for you Colin....aspirin works very well on goats and if this is due to soem pain or inflammation from arthritis or an old injury, this will really help her.

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, Colin!!