Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My cat has stopped eating ,has a raspy meow and has been sick

My cat has stopped eating ,has a raspy meow and has been sick with what looks like bile.He has been sleeping a lot and not been his usual self.Should I take him to the vets ?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Caroline, I'm Dr. Deb and I'll do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Bennie.

Normally, I don't become too concerned when a cat stops eating for a day or so, especially if their meow sounds a little different. An upper respiratory infection (aka Feline Flu) can often present this way and most cats will start to feel better within a few days.
However, there could be other explanations for his lethargy and disinterest in food ranging from a fever to systemic disease (problem with his kidneys, liver or pancreas, for example).

My concern is that Bennie is 13. Older cats don't have the reserves that younger ones do and can become quite debilitated a lot sooner even if something fairly "simple" is responsible for his symptoms.
It's possible that something a little more serious may be going on and I wouldn't want him to become more ill if you waited to have him seen.

The yellow bile is most likely secondary to an empty stomach and wouldn't necessarily indicate anything more serious than this.

I'd advise that you have him seen, if at all possible. A physical exam may detect a problem or your vet may recommend bloodwork which is never a bad idea in a cat ths age.

I hope this helps and that he feels better soon.
Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thankyou for your reply as Bennie is an older cat I will take him to the vets just to rule out anything nasty.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Caroline:
You're welcome.

I believe that would be the most prudent course of action.

I hope you'll keep me posted about him after your vet visit.

Even after you've rated (if you do, of course), we can still continue to communicate at no additional charge to you.

Good luck; I hope this won't be anything too serious...I'm sure that this is your fervent hope as well!! Regards, Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Caroline:
Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

I'll look forwards to chatting with you further about Bennie. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the information request.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dear Dr Deb, I took Bennie to the vets they took blood test to find nothing sinister but as he was very dehydrated have put him on drip for 24 hrs .Hopefully he will be feeling better soon.Im so glad i took your ad vice as it has put my mind at rest. Thankyou Caroline Allinson
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Caroline:
Thanks for taking the time to send me an update about Bennie.

I'm so glad to hear that his test results were normal...but probably not half as glad as you were:)))

Let's hope that rehydrating will do the trick and he's back to normal quickly.

I'm glad that I was able to help you...and Bennie, of course:)

Regards, Deb