Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

good evening. we have a choc lab who is about 5 yo. Weve had

Customer Question

good evening. we have a choc lab who is about 5 yo. We've had her 4 years now and she has always had a skin condition. We give her a monthly injection of artuvetrin which is made up in Holland via our vet. This is for her allergies - dust mite and flee saliva.
she also has 5 squirts of Viacutan in her food each day. She has a special 36.5% salmon based food specially made for her. We do not give her left-overs of sweets, or junk food of any kind. She has recently been scratching and the vey have us a 2 week course on medication (Rilexine 600mg)... We also bath her every 2-3 weeks with a medic ated shampoo - and we rinse her thoroughly.
However, after 2 weeks she has started scratching again.
As this is a pre-existing condition, we are not covered by the insurance. We are struggling to be able to pay the bills are getting larger and the meds don't seem to be working.
Can you think of any other treatment we can give her. I've kind of given up with our vet,
MTIA Lance Thatcher
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning Lance and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Since Poppy has not responded to these medications, I worry that he may be suffering from Atopy. This is a generlized allergic reaction that only responds to Atopica or Cyclosporine. This LINK explains in more detail.

I would like to see your vet run a skin biopsy to know for sure what may be causing Poppy's distress but this condition is common in labs and will respond to this medication. Perhaps, get a second opinion from another vet and ask about this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks for a speedy response . If she has this condition would it not have been recognised when she first had her skin tested ? I think getting a second opinion is an excellent idea. we have an appointment with our normal vet tomorrow and I will see what they thinkabout you suggestion . Thankyou very much for your advise. I will try and give you feedback when I can. many thanks.Lance.

Hi Lance...this condition may not have been picked up at first unless a biopsy was done. Usually, we will do skin scrapings and cultures first and then if they do not respond to medications, do further diagnostics.

Good for you to have Poppy checked again...this can be managed once it is determined what is causing it...

Please let me know, Lance , how Poppy is doing...Thanks so much!!
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.

Thank you so much, Lance for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about Poppy's condition.

Have a great day!!