Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience as a veterinary surgeon
23462335

My cat has not eaten since yesterday morning. He has been sleeping

My cat has not eaten since yesterday morning. He has been sleeping a lot the last couple of days, which is unusual. He is a 6yr old house cat.
Expert:  Dr. Dan M. replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry Marley is unwell.

Unfortunately, lethargy and anorexia are vague clinical signs and can be daubed by many different disease processes. However, we do commonly see is when cats are running a temperature.

There are many causes of fever and these include infection, inflammation, immune disease and sometimes cancer albeit the latter two are not common at all.

We can also see lethargy and anorexia with internal disease such as kidney disease, liver disease and abdominal pain.

In order to get a more precise feel for what is going on with Marley you will need to visit your vet. If there is a temperature then medication can be given to lower the temperature and make him feel better.

A clinical examination will also ensure there is no suspicion of internal disease.

Often the cause remains unknown and the cat gets better with rest, medication (especially if there is a temperature) and time.

You can try tempting Marley with warmed smelly food such as tuna, pilchards etc. The priority is that he drinks as cats will dehydrate very quickly which causes more complications.

If he is alert and bright and not collapsed, vomiting, having diarrhoea and has pale pink gums as well as breathing normally you can try tempting him with foods and see what happens. But if it is persisiting or any of the previously mentioned abnormalities are present you should get him checked sooner.

Good luck and I hope he is OK

Dan Makin